In the 19th century, sanitary conditions demanded the construction of public markets in several cities, Manaus on the banks of Rio Negro was not an exception.
The Adolpho Lisboa market is located in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil. The Market started to be built in 1880, by Bakus & Brisbin, using an iron structure provided by Francisc Norton, Engineers, Liverpool. It was open three years later, in 1883.
Still in operation today, the Adolpho Lisboa market is on the edge of the city, right on the banks of the river. The goods enter and leave the market daily through the docks. The dynamics outside/around the market is very intense. So many faces, all kinds of people, all kinds of goods.